Thursday, August 8, 2013

This Day In Gay Utah History AUGUST 8th

Ralph Waldo Emerson
August 8th


1820- While attending Harvard College, Ralph Waldo Emerson age 17 became infatuated with a fellow student named Martin Gay who was 16. He began to record in his journal his intense feelings and apparent secret attractions for Martin Gay. Secret since most of the references were later crossed out to make them unreadable or a blank was inserted where a name should have been.  On this date Emerson's first journal entry referring to Martin Gay the word GAY is written in capitals across part of the page.

1973-The American Bar Association passed a resolution urging the repeal of sodomy laws.

1978-The International Lesbian and Gay Association was formed in Coventry, England after a meeting with representatives from fourteen countries. It was originally called the International Gay Association; the name was changed in 1986.

1989 John Sassaman died in Monterey California of AIDS. John was a leader and gentleman and well known among Utah's Gay and Lesbian Community. In 1986 he was elected as first chairperson of the Gay and Lesbian Community Council of Utah. One of his most regarded accomplishments being the co-founder and publisher of the Triangle Magazine. He also participated in may local organizations in the advancement of Gay/Lesbian issues. John received two Bachelor degrees. One in Anthropology from the University of Utah and the other was in Music Arts from the Western University in Gunnison Colorado. John was also pursuing a graduate degree in Business. "I was always impressed by John's insightfulness and foresight. He was bright, progressive and very intuitive about human behavior. When I last spoke with John about two months ago he communicated a sense of peacefulness and wisdom. Giving simplicity and understanding in his outlook for the present and the future. John always said that everything happens in its appropriate time and place. He told me that he was happy with his life accomplishments. All regrets and unfinished tasks were unimportant. John opened many doors for me, teaching me on many levels. Locally he was loved by many as a friend. He will be much missed-Satu Servigna

1992 - Salt Lake Tribune reports that LDS First Presidency's spokesman has acknowledged existence of special "Strengthening the Members Committee" that keeps secret files on church members regarded as disloyal. Due to publicity on this matter, including New York Times, Presidency issues statement on 13 Aug. defending organization of this apostle-directed committee as consistent with God's commandment to Joseph Smith to gather documentation about non-Mormons who mob and persecute LDS Church. Presidency lists Apostles James E. Faust and Russell M. Nelson as leading the committee. 

1992 The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis ordered an AIDS prevention organization to vacate their office space in a church-run facility because they distributed condoms.

1993 The Salt Lake Men’s Choir performed at the Bountiful/Davis Art Center’s Summerfest International Arts & Folk Festival,

1998- The 23rd Reign of the Royal Court of the Golden Spike Empire hosted the Annual Carnival Show and Auction as a benefit to the RCGSE Christmas Fund held at the Sun.

1998 Lone Star Stud Contest held at The Trapp

1999 The Wasatch Bears’ Bearthday Brunch was held at Fiddlers Elbow

1999 -SHANE SANDERS of Taylorsville wrote to the Salt Lake Tribune, “I don't see how an institution that teaches understanding, love and acceptance can push for an initiative that creates hatred, disdain and judgment among people.”

1999 BRIAN JAMES MURRAY of Salt Lake City wrote to the Salt Lake Tribune, “I find it difficult to ignore the fact that the LDS Church is attempting to be the law of the land, rather than just following it. The example that strikes me the most is the church's role in the same-sex marriage laws that are currently being circulated in the California legislature.”

1999 Wasatch Affirmation of PROVO hosted a "Utah Valley Family Reunion", at Canyon Glen Park in Provo Canyon and Wasatch Affirmation of OGDEN held a barbecue/pot luck to help plan future Ogden meetings.

David James Bell
2008 Ben Williams to SL County Attorney Office: How can there possibly be "insufficient evidence" to file felony counts on the attack on David Bell and his partner? Did no one look at the photos of the pair? This brutal attack needs to be prosecuted so that other vigilantes do not take it upon them to carry out their own lawlessness.  Do you have anymore evidence then Mrs. Latu's assumptions? Shame on you and we will be following this case carefully.  I respectfully ask that you reconsider your decision and file charges of felonious assault. In 2010 the people who assaulted Bell were finally charged.

2009 After the day I've had, I'm inspired to write something. If no one finds this inspiring, ah well... This afternoon I went to Jeremy Clawson's memorial service. There were people from High School there that I haven't seen in nearly 20 years. It reminded me that they were the biggest part of my life once. As I've matured over the years I've changed, moved on with somethings, kept other things... but mostly Noticed more things. In High School, I held in alot of things in because I was different. I never fit in with the LDS kids, I was terrified to fit in with the stoner kids, and geek was not chic back then. My closest friends of that era were the girls in the band. I loved them all, I always felt I could relate better to them. Time has gone on, most of them have husbands and families now. I have my family, but it's not within their social norm. I don't apologize for that. I guess what I'm asking the universe tonight is how do I reconnect with those people I grew up with, and still be me? I will be blunt, seeing Becky, Jaron, Emalee filled my heart! It was so great to get that hug from them after all these years. ( You know I'm a sucker for a good hug! ) Over the years I've run into Jen and Cody (and a few others.) a few times, I've gotten the distinct feeling that my presence was merely tolerated. I don't want to be merely tolerated. I want dignity as a human being, if you can't give me that, then don't bother with the effort.The one thing that I carried with me today was the hug I got from Becky Clawson. It almost brought me to tears. I guess the people from then who choose to "tolerate" me can just stay on the other side of the room. As long as I have the few that are willing to get to know and understand me.After seeing some of the pictures taken at the service I really wish I had been able to stay... ( I had to go to work.) People were there that I remember with fondness, and people I wouldn't cross a room to talk to. Which I found ironic considering the person we were there to memorialize. Jeremy Clawson was one of the most intelligent, gracious, funny, incredibly attractive, well rounded, people I've ever had the honor of knowing. (I really need a thesaurus, because I'm sure there are THOUSANDS of adjectives to describe what a great person has been lost.) He was to Me one of THE FINEST examples of humanity. Some of you have great memories from this era of our lives,
Terry Gilman
I don't. There were many moments I remember fondly, but I never felt like that puzzle piece you all seemed to be. In a way I'm envious, in another way I'm grateful of the man I am. After that time in my life I've not really stopped to think about what people thought of me. For those of you reading that may be wondering who I am in my life now, I hope I can shed some light. Let's all get together again, I want to know some of you as adults! We were forced together by circumstances of life, Jordan High. We chose to be together because, WE WERE OUR OWN WORLD for a short period of time. I remember being in the senior assembly my sophomore year. I remember thinking to myself..."I'm going to lose these people when High School is over." I'm grateful for facebook to give us a token of the world I remember from my childhood. This year has been a dramatic one for me. I hope the coming year will see more stability, love, and most of all Friends. Written by Terry Gillman

2010 Salt Lake Tribune Day of hope  As a queer youth in Utah, it is hard to have hope. Utah has one of the highest homeless youth populations in the nation that are queer-identified. As a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender youth, I am more likely to suffer depression and commit self-harm or suicide than my straight-identified counterparts. I have heard horrendous stories of physical, emotional and sexual abuse simply because an individual was of the GLBT community. But on Aug. 4, 2010, when a federal judge in California ruled that Proposition 8 violated my rights as a citizen of the United States, I cried tears of joy. It is my dream to one day be legally married, and this dream is shared by so many others. Today, I have hope. No one can vote that away from me. Adrian Harrison Salt Lake City


2010 QSaltLake Day at Lagoon Expected to Be Largest Ever “I’m here for the hottie convention,” was on about a dozen of the hundreds of red T-shirts donned by lesbians, gay men and friends at last year’s annual Q Lagoon Day. Indeed, many park regulars wondered
Michael Aaron
if there is a convention of sorts as the park is awash in red.
This year, says QSaltLake editor Michael Aaron, looks to be shaping up to be the largest turnout ever. “Last year, we believe we had over a thousand people join us at Lagoon Day,” said Aaron. “The buzz this year is at a much higher squeal.” Usually held on the third Sunday in August, Aaron chose to move the day off of the KUTV 2-for-1 day. “While it was fun to be in a huge crowd and save a few extra bucks, it was also nearly impossible to get on rides,” explained Aaron. Sunday, Aug. 8 is the big day, beginning at 11:00 a.m. The Maple Terrace, north of Lagoon-A Beach and next to the Jumping Dragon ride, is available all day for a respite or food break. Several community organizations are planning to have scheduled picnics in the terrace. Outside food and drink is allowed in the pavilion area only. The Maple Terrace will also be the venue for the annual group photo at 4 p.m. The official after party will be held at Club Try-Angles. The bar will be closed until 6:00 p.m. to allow the staff to enjoy the day at the amusement park. Official T-shirts, in sizes ranging from small to XL, are available at the QSaltLake offices, 1055 East 2100 South, Ste 206, for a $5 donation to the QCares Foundation. Discount coupons, good for up to eight people, are available at Cahoots, Club Try-Angles, Off Trax and the QSaltLake offices. Coupons will get each person in the park for $34.36 plus tax — a savings of over $8. As with Gay Days at Disney and other theme parks around the country, the Lagoon Corporation is merely the venue to the day and does not sponsor or endorse it.

2017 I had the opportunity to meet with Encircle: LGBT+ Family & Youth Resource Center
Tosh Metzger
today and was fortunate enough to spend 2 hours going over things. it was a great meeting! lots of things happening on the gay activist front in provo. here are other great groups that share in the gay effort in provo: Provo Pride, PFLAG Provo/Utah County, Joshy's House of Hope, Jerilyn Hassell Pool and company. please please PLEASE go to their pages and say something POSITIVE about their groups. they are all here trying desperately to serve and underserved population in our community. Tosh Metzger

No comments:

Post a Comment